Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Hunger Games





I finished the Hunger Games Yesterday and what a great read it was.


I really do love YA books, but these days everything seems to be vampires, and not that I don’t like them, but it gets a bit too much at one stage you know?


So it was a great surprise to pick up this book and read it, and do you know what? All the characters are mainly human! Yes you heard me right; they aren’t blood suckers or werewolves, not fairies or witches.


The story is about Katniss Everdeen, a young girl who lives with her mother and sister in The Seam of District 12. They live alone after their father died in a mining accident.


District 12 is the mining district, just like there are 11 other districts with other main activities.


Katniss has to help her family survive by hunting illegally with her friend Gale, otherwise her family will surely starve to death. But then it’s time again for the annual Hunger Games and all children above the age of 12 and below the age of 18 have to gather for the Reaping.


To her shock, Katniss’s sister Prim gets chosen, but Katniss steps in and volunteers to go in Prims place to compete in the Hunger Games in the Capitol along with her fellow District 12 member Peeta.


The story then follows Katniss as she competes by trying to eliminate the other members competing. And how do you eliminate another member? By killing…


The story has got some humour, love, dark secrets and violence rolled into one, which makes for a great read.


The book went rather quickly and I found myself wanting to pick it up and find out what happens next. I did root for both parties and was happy when they got to stick together. The death of Rue is such an awful yet beautiful piece in the book and even Thrash’s death really got to me.


If you’re in a slump with your reading go and try out this book.


I must say that now I can’t wait to read the next one!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Sugar and Snark said...

Glad you enjoyed it!

Btw what a lovely signature :)

Niecole said...

Hehehe thanks

I designed it myself lol, glad you like it :)