Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by The Broke & The Bookish with a different theme each week. This week we’re talking:



Top Ten Books - Required Reading for Teens


1. To Kill a Mockingbird - This story just blew my mind when I read it in the 10th grade. The story is something that will stay with you for the rest of you life. The characters become people that you wish you'd known.

2. Harry Potter Series - Well, these are the books that really got me reading again, so I'd reccomend it to any teen who doesnt like to read, because this will surely change your mind. Everything in this word that Ms Rowling created is just fantastic to read and your imagination can go wild.






3. The Book Thief - Wow, I didn't think I'd like this book, but it was amazing. You get some history swept into a great story. You'll either love it or hate it.


4. Memoirs of a Geisha - One of my favorite books of all time. The story is brilliant and the way Golden describes everything makes you feel like you're there, living the story. I feel that every girl at least should read it, it just made me look at things in a different way.






 
5. Little Women - Again, every girl at least should read this one... what a really classic book.


6. A Midsummers Night Dream - I LOVED this book, probably the only book by Shakespear that I did love, I saw a play about it too, and it was brilliant. Shakespear was really "cool" with this book.
 
7. A Handmaids Tale - A comming of age type book, I think most people should read it... it teaches you about society in a bizarre way.


8. The Great Gatsby - It would not have been a chore even if I was forced to read this one... I love the 1920's and this book just opend up that world to me. Another great story and a lesson tucked in.


9. Anne Frank - I found this book utterly boring, but the fact that it was written by a girl hiding from Nazi's is what made it a great book. I'd read it along side the Book Thief.


10. The Hunger Games - Just a great series of books that everyone should read, and everyone would love


I agree with a friend that I'm not a fan of required reading, especially not for teens, but I think that all people, young and old, should read these books...


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great list!

I've read all the books on your list (and loved most of them too!) except The Hunger Games. One day I'll get around to reading them, hopefully soon!

Niecole said...

Yay :)
It's a great series Kayleigh, I think you'll like it.

Thanks for stopping by

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I understand required reading but I think it could be done better. There should be more choices. Let people pick out of similar books or something.

Love your list though. It has some of my favorites like Little Women and Anne Frank. The Book thief is still on my list to read.

Niecole said...

Alexis, I think you'll love The Book Thief :)

____ said...

Great list! Each one of those is a personal favorite of mine. Though, I'm not sure The Handmaid's Tale would appeal to teens as much. It's pretty heavy, and I know I only really "got it" as an adult.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Niecole said...

Hi Genna, I agree, not for teens but I do think all other people should read it :)

Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

Niecole said...

Hi Genna, I agree, not for teens but I do think all other people should read it :)

Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

Sugar and Snark said...

Harry Potter is number 1 :)

Anonymous said...

I am not a required reading mom either. I've seen it take my boys who were mildly interested in reading and turn them into anti-readers. Reading is a treasure that needs to be discovered in our own time and way.