Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review - The Hobbit


The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

The Hobbit

Plot:    Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit who wanted to be left alone in quiet comfort. But the wizard Gandalf came along with a band of homeless dwarves. Soon Bilbo was drawn into their quest, facing evil orcs, savage wolves, giant spiders, and worse unknown dangers. Finally, it was Bilbo-alone and unaided-who had to confront the great dragon Smaug, the terror of an entire countryside . . .

This stirring adventure fantasy begins the tale of the hobbits that was continued by J.R.R. Tolkien in his bestselling epic The Lord of the Rings

Characters:   Bilbo Baggins
                        Gandalf
                         Thorin
                         Smaug
              

The Hobbit has always been one of my favourite books that I read at school, it was far more interesting to me than The Lord of the Rings (which I just could not read for it was utterly boring to me).

I was lucky to receive a copy of this favourite from a dear friend of mine, Lauren Smith, for my birthday. I therefore started reading it again, seeing as the movie too would be making its appearance soon.

The first parts went well, I could remember reading it about 13 years ago at school, but as it progressed, it unfortunately became more boring.

So Mr Bilbo Baggins is a little hobbit living in the Shyer, a relaxing life without any excitement, just as he likes it. But one day he is overwhelmed with dwarf visitors, and the great Wizard Gandalf. Gandalf has tricked Bilbo into accompanying the dwarves on their journey to the Misty Mountains to retrieve their stolen treasures from Smaug the Dragon. How was he tricked? Well by a clever little note upon his door declaring that he was a wonderful thief, exactly what the dwarves needed.

So they set off on their adventures and meet a great deal of people, goblins and trolls and humans and elves.

I am not going to retell the whole story, but I will give my humble opinion on it. I’m not sure why I loved it so much when I was still at school, but the book didn’t grab me this time. It gave me nothing, I couldn’t feel excited to read it even if I tried, and I’m so sorry to say this as JRR Tolkien is a great writer. There is nothing wrong with the way the book is written, he had immense talent, I will admit, but the book comes across as a bit childish to me now, and with too many details that I do not care to know.

Even with this said, I am looking forward to seeing the movie, although I do not know how they can manage to make a trilogy out of this book when it is a much smaller book than even one of the LOtR books.  

No comments: