Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sunflower foundation

This is another topic that might scare you, but I urge you to take a look...

Every year you see those lovely colorful bandanas hanging at Pick & Pay, but have you ever wondered what they are for? Maybe you know about the Sunflower fund, but have you ever bought a bandana?

A few years ago I started buying my first bandana and I always tell my family to also support them. Last year I decided to become a donor. I went to their website and realised that the process was not that difficult. Firstly, to find out whether you can be a donor or not (and to test your blood type etc) they only draw blood and put it through some tests. Only when you are a suitable donor for someone in need do you donate your bone marrow to someone. But the tests are expensive, they cost R1,000 each.  And thats why the Sunflower Fund started with the bandanas to help make enough money to have people tested.

The process is easy, you visit their website http://www.sunflowerfund.org.za/ and they explain it to you. I haven't been tested yet, but I want to do it in this year, but currently by phoning them and answering some questions I'm on their list of possible donors.

Also, PLEASE go out and get your Bandana today! Make a statement by wearing yours on Bandana day (which is shown on the Bandana).

No comments: