Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review: Dracula

DraculaDracula by Bram Stoker


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I didn't think that I would, but I did love this book.
Dracula is one of the first Vampire books out there and I had to read it for challenge (seeing as my mother’s name is also Wilhelmina and that was what the challenge was about).
At first the book really bored me and I couldn’t get into it at all.

The first part is very confusing and a struggle to get through, but once you've past the first few pages it gets much easier to read.

The story isn't all that scary, except I wouldn’t recommend reading it at night, as my imagination went a bit crazy on me.
The story is also written in the form of all the major characters diaries and that could confuse you, but do not despair, all the pieces are separated in kind of mini chapters.
Dracula as you all know is the vampire who lived in Transylvania, and the story that Stoker wrote is how he came to England and terrorised a group of friends, and how they vow to hunt him down so he may never harm another.

A very heroic story and I really loved the character of Van Helsing and Dr John Seward.

There are some crazy (for the time) love stories in the book (where one woman has 3 suitors) and a load of adventure.

I you really want to read a classic I would go for Dracula. It’s not as hefty as most of the others and the story is really intriguing. The book is well written, but beware, Stoker wrote it in a different time than what we are living in now, so the style and jargon might be much different than what you are used to.

Enjoy! I did.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I am ashamed to say I have never read this book. I might give it a try on audio. Glad to see you got it done despite the many hurdles.

Niecole said...

yeah, it was a tough one, because it's not written in neat little short paragraphs, so you get tierd pretty quickly...