Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review - You Know You Love Me (Gossip Girl #2)

Review: You Know You Love Me: Gossip Girl #2

You Know You Love Me (Gossip Girl, #2)

Rating:
3 environmentally friendly stars

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 

Synopsis:
In You Know You Love Me, the sequel to Gossip Girl, it's brunette vixen Blair Waldorf's seventeenth birthday, and she knows exactly what she wants--Nate, her studly troubles boyfriend of three years. But Blair's been too busy filling out Ivy League college applications to notice that Nate has found himself another playmate.

Thoughts:
Let me first start by saying that I love Gossip Girl, the series. I’m a Chair and Dair fan (yes both) and I despise Serena. Thus, by the guide of my love for the show, I picked up the first book in the series last year. It was a fun read (as expected) and I enjoyed seeing how different the book was to the series. So this year I picked up the second book, and this is what I thought of it.

Although I did enjoy the book, it really vexed me that it was different to the series. I don’t often admit that I like a series or movie more than the book, but this was definitely the case here. AUTHOR makes Blair out to be not as pretty or thin or anything like Blair is in the series, and of course, Serena is the epitome of all beautiful and good. What I also dispised in this book (which are based on teenagers {yes I know they all are having sex so you might think why I am moaning about this}) is that they all smoke! Dan (another favourite character) chain smokes!

So to get back to the story line (and please ignore my ramblings, I just get really into these things sometimes). Blair wants to lose her virginity to Nate, yet Nate falls in love with Jenny. Chuck isn’t really there. Serena is the all mighty beauty and Dan is a neurotic nerdy poet. Ok ok, so it’s not as bad as I’m making it out to be but still. Blair’s mother falls in love with Cyrus and the two of them are planning their wedding. Blair is really planning on doing it with Nate; Blair’s father (the gay one) is featured as well. Jenny manages to catch the attention of pot smoking Nate; Dan writes weird poems and stuff about Serena, which freaks her out a bit (it would freak me out too!). On top of all this, they are all looking at colleges they would like to go to and take (kind of) individual road trips to see them.

The story is fun to read, really, but you get lost sometimes because although everything kind of smooches together, there really isn’t a coherent storyline when you think of it. It all just goes together in a weird way. In my opinion, it just made better sense to me because I watch the series.

Some of my extra peeves in this book: Serena wins a prize for a movie that she didn’t really even make. Sure she acknowledges the others, but still. It gives you this vibe that beauty truly can get you everything, which is kind of disturbing. Blair is bulimic, and I feel it should be addressed more, not made off to be some trend that teenagers just get up to. Again the smoking, I don’t mind it, but these are teens… also the sexual vibes in this book freaks me out.

That said, I cannot wait to read the next one lol

No comments: