Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review - The Shining by Stephen King


REVIEW - THE SHINING


Synopsis:  Danny is only five years old, but he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of an old hotel, his visions grow out of control. Cut off by blizzards, the hotel seems to develop an evil force, and who are the mysterious guests in the supposedly empty hotel?


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Wow, I read this book a while ago, only updating everything now.

Stephen King is just one of those authors that write a good book, well most of the time. My first encounter with Stephen was Rose Madder, loved it so much I had to read it again!

I've heard a lot about The Shining from fellow book lovers and friends of mine, and I must admit that I have not seen the movie. This, I think, was to my advantage as I prefer reading the book first before watching the movie.

This book did not disappoint... I had to read it during the day as it did freak me out a little.
I'm sure you all know what it's about, but for those who don't, it's about Jack Torrance and his family that go to live in this Hotel as Jack is the new caretaker during the winter season. This means that there are no guests at the hotel and Jack, his wife and their young son are there all alone. Already this should set of warning bells right? The Hotel starts to kind of possess Jack and strange things start to happen. His young son Danny also has a gift, The Shining, and can see things that his parents cannot.

I don't want to go on too much, as that would give it away to those who have not read it.
Stephen's writing style isn't always easy to read and there are some bits that I skipped as it was getting a bit boring. But on the whole the book was intense, it was scary and kept me at the edge of my seat wanting to know what would happen!

I'm also looking forward to some new movies and books linked to this one that are said to be appearing next year. Not sure how true that is. Stephen is said to be writing a prequel to the book, all about the life of Jack Torrance.

If you like suspense and if you like to read about some paranormal activity, then this is the right one for you, it reminded me a lot of the Amityville Horror in a way, another book I enjoyed.



No comments: